SELAMAT DATANG ! WELCOME !

Ladies and gentlemen,

With this blog, I sincerely hope that everyone can contribute and update the information about Malaysia put up here.

For fellow tour guides: Your valuable experiences will very much appreciated if you can share your own experiences and contribute valuable information here.

For future tour guides: Its always in my mind that I hope I can share these information with all of you. Its always in my principle that when we share, we learn and grow as it goes.

For my SUPER VIP TOURISTS ( whom I call friends ): Your contribution here will definitely motivate us to improve our services to all the future SUPER VIP TOURISTS in Malaysia. Its always the hope of tour guides that you will past the words of mouth how beautiful Malaysia is to all future SUPER VIP TOURISTS.

For fellow bloggers: Your valuable suggestions and contributions will also very much appreciated. I hope that with blog, your future travel to Malaysia will be a very much happy and pleasant one.

TERIMAKASIH...
Posted by Chua Eng Han

Monday, June 9, 2008

Tour Guide Dilema

I have taken my off days since 1st June 2008. I am taking these off days for few reasons:

1) Been working basically without any rest for about two months during the month of April and May. My body been asking me to have a good rest and to recharge.

2) Its the school holiday again. So its family time again. As usual, taken my son to the City of Entertainment and also Zoo Negara (been decades never been to this place... and I believe same goes to most of the tour guides).

3) Its a very low season for the China tourists. There have been rumours that it will be a very low season for the China market for 3 months (June, July and August). This low season is due to the China government did not allow any of its government workers to go overseas to enjoy because of the earthquake in Sichuan. Another reason is the Olympic game. It falls on the 8th August 2008 and its organised for a month in China.

Due to this very low season, of course, the main dilema of a tour guide is how do I get my income to pay for the house and the car installment. I have been very lucky because I am able to speak various languages. So, lucky me that I have diversified to as many markets as possible since 3 years ago.

Today, I have just called Lynn Tan (Siakson Travels). She immediately arranged 3 groups for me this one whole month. At least, I have Indian groups to substitute the China market. What about those China market tour guides? I think if they can get 3 to 5 groups for these 3 months they are considered very lucky.

Another dilema of the China speaking tour guides is that Kuala Lumpur Tour Guides' Association (KLTGA) is demanding a hike of tour guide fees of RM180.00 per day from the travel agents. The China market tour guides are not so much affected as they are already enjoying RM150.00 per day guide fee.

The worst affected ones are the Hong Kong and the Taiwan tour guides. They are actually having zero tour guide fees due to the zero tour fare by the travel agents. So... they are going on strike demanding for guiding fees from the travel agents. Hei... fellow brothers and sisters... its time we are united for our own good.

The news of fuel price increase has also badly affected the tour guides. The following day after the announcement of the fuel price increase, the China market bus drivers demanded the tour guides to pay him RM25.00 per person for the transportation fee to fetch us from KL to 2nd LINK. Its lucky that the tour guides once again stand united go against the demand of the the bus driver. I really wonder why do these bus drivers don't demand increament from the travel agents but from tour guides.

Kudos to those tour guides who stand united on that day and also to those who have sent sms around to ask tour guides to stand united to go against the increament of the transportation fee.

With the fuel price increase, I guess this will definitely affect the life expenses of tour guides very badly as well. Our tour guide fees have never been increased easily for more than 10 years. More misery and more dilemas are coming... fellow tour guides... so... its time for us to change our living lifestyle...

I wonder when will the dilema of tour guides will ever end...

1 comment:

deanna said...

hey with regards to guide fees, guess its not just the chinese tour guides problems. what about the other language guides? isn't TGAs supposed to be doing something for us?? anything at all?? so what's happening? with this fuel hike, everybody is definately affected. from the look of things, travel agents don;t seem to care much for TGAs huh ?

Custom Search